Saturday, April 7, 2012

Weekend in Victoria

Last weekend I spent three amazing days in my hometown.  I spent the weekend catching up with friends, going for walks by the water, and visiting my two favourite people in the world.  I took the ferry over and then lucked out with a Harbour Air seat sale and was able to fly home.  If you get the chance be sure to take the seaplane from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria - on a nice day there is no better way to travel.  Having grown up in Victoria I have to admit that I am surely a bit biased when I say that it is truly one of the most beautiful places in the world.   But, don't take my word for it - judge for yourself...














A little context for that last photo: 

When I was a kid my Papa had a trick kite quite like the one in the photo.  We would always spend Spring Break together as a family and he would bring it with him to fly in the windy Washington sky.  I remember as a kid thinking that kite was the coolest thing.  One thing to understand about my Papa is that he was born with what our family calls the 'fun gene'.  Simply put, this means that he was able to find the fun in just about anything.  He even once took my cousins and I on a Magical Mystery Trip to the dump.  Now, taking 3 kids to the city dump doesn't sound like fun to most people but my Papa turned that trip into one of the most amazing days of my childhood.  It was never about what he was doing but how much fun he could have doing it.  

I've been thinking a lot about that lately, about how some people are able to find the joy in even the most mundane tasks and how we should all aspire to be a little bit more like that.  I for one am guilty of getting so bogged down with obligations and responsibilities that I forget how lucky and blessed I am.  I need to get back in touch with my fun gene and that is exactly what I am going to do!

Have a great (and fun!) weekend - no matter what you are doing :)

R

No comments:

Post a Comment